Leather Sheath Kit, Pouch Style
- 1.00 (cm)
- 12.00 (cm)
- 30.00 (cm)
- Gift wrapping:
- Options available
- Calculated at Checkout
Leather Sheath Kit, Pouch style
Premium vegetable tanned leather in 3.5 mm, made in Australia.
These are designed and made by Shane Partridge, the knife maker behind Blacks Blades. Shane was in 2016 listed as in the "Top 5 Hottest Custom Knife Makers on Facebook" by Blade Magazine and has been featured for his excellent work both in print and online. Check out Blacks Blades on Facebook, to see some of Shane's recent work, or to commission a custom high-end knife or leather sheath: https://www.facebook.com/Blacks-Blades-315314878605450/
The pouch kit is an easy to complete sheath, consisting of the pre-cut leather sheath including belt loop, as well as a "welt" or leather insert that protects the stitches from the blade. The main leather sheath piece is about 30 cm long and will fit a blade length to around 90-100 mm.
To complete the kit:
- Optional: Glue the leather welt (loose piece) to one inside of the main piece
- Fold the belt loop back on the sheath, clamp or glue in place
- Drill holes in the last 3 cm of the belt loop and sow this to the sheath
- Wet the middle of the sheath leather to make it easier to fold around the knife
- Fold the leather around the knife and either glue together or just clamp together while drilling
- Drill holes through all 3 layers of leather (middle welt and layer of leather on each side)
- Stitch up sheath using 2 needles and linen thread
- Wet the sheath in luke warm water and start moulding it around the knife to make a good fit
If wanting to personalise the sheath further, tool and stamp the leather while it is dry;
Dampen the surface of the leather lightly and mark it by using tools with smoth edges to not damage the top layer.
The leather can be left with the natural colour or dyed at any stage of the process using leather dyes.
Sealing the sheath is recommended, to improve moisture resistance.