Polar Long Hunter Kit with Sheath
- 8.00 (cm)
- 5.00 (cm)
- 30.00 (cm)
- Gift wrapping:
- Options available
- Calculated at Checkout
Polar Long Hunter 145 Kit
Large Scandi Kit, 145 mm blade, with sheath and handle materials included.
Stainless Steel blade, with a Nordic hunter/skinner profile in an extra long blade.
This blade is both longer and wider than most traditional Scandi blades, with a solid heavy feel to it.
Blade is from Finland, made by Polar in X50CrMoV15 Stainless Steel with a mirror finish.
The blade blank is 3.2 mm thick, about 27 mm high and has about 145 mm of blade length.
Total length from tip to end of tang is 275 mm, the tang can be cut to fit the handle hole drilled leaving half the handle length or more.
The kit consists of
- Polar Long Hunter 145 blade, Stainless
- Metal bolster in brass
- Vulcanised spacer material, Red
- Solid wood handle block in Curly Birch
- Moose Antler slice
- Leather sheath in vegetable tanned leather
This is a kit that can be completed using simple hand tools, creating something you can be proud to use for years to come.
To complete this kit you will need to
- fit the bolster to the tang, with a file or dremel
- cut the tang to size, with a file, hacksaw or dremel
- cut off a piece of the spacer material and drill a hole for the tang (scissors, cordless drill)
- drill a hole in the wooden block for the tang (cordless drill)
- Drill a hole in the moose antler for the tang
- glue blade, bolster, spacer, antler and wood together with epoxy glue (for instance Max Strength Araldite)
- shape the handle with a rasp, belt sander, or other tools
- Smooth the handle with sand paper
- Optional finish: seal the handle with oil, wax or varnish
Below is a great example of a completed Lauri Laplander kit by Phillip Farrant. This product is a similar kit but with the stainless Polar blade. Handle materials and sheath is the same;