9Cr18Mo -(440c) - Stainless Blade Steel 3.3 x 50 x 1000 mm
- 1.00 (cm)
- 5.00 (cm)
- 103.00 (cm)
- Gift wrapping:
- Options available
- Calculated at Checkout
Bulk discount rates
Below are the available bulk discount rates for each individual item when you purchase a certain amount
|Buy 3 or above||and get $10.00 off|
9Cr18Mo Stainless Blade Steel (3.3 x 50 x 1000 mm billet)
High Carbon Stainless Steel for blades, high in Chromium for good corrosion resistance in the kitchen or marine use.
One of the alloys in the 440C family of knife steels.
C 0.97%, Si 0.53%, Mn 0.57%, P 0.013%, S 0.007%, Mo 0.53%, Cr 18.64%, Ni 0.33%
How to Heat Treat 9Cr18Mo or any other 440C family steel:
- Hold at 760 C for 10 mins (1400 F)
- Hold at 1040 C for 30 mins (1900 F)
- Quench can be still air, plates, or even oil (Air quenched steel so plates or oil not required)
- If possible: -70 C for 30 mins (-95 F)
- Temper at 190 C (375 F) for 2 hours, cool in tap water and temper for 2 hours again
- this will give an estimated 59-60 HRC if cryo step is included
As a first time user of stainless steel this came up allright. Followed the HT instructions, omitted the -70C freeze stage but still achieved a Rockwell HRC between 50-55. The scale was minimal and the blade finish after sanding was very good.
Looks good will let you know how it goes.
Great steel and fantastic service as usual.
As usual great service and product.
Great steel, nice to work with but the mill scale is a punish to remove.