Antler and Carbon Steel Kit with Sheath (95 mm blade)
- 10.00 (cm)
- 5.00 (cm)
- 25.00 (cm)
- Gift wrapping:
- Options available
- Calculated at Checkout
Polar 95 Carbon Steel Blade Kit with Reindeer Antler Roll and Sheath
Make your own custom set with a solid Carbon Steel blade, leather sheath and solid antler handle roll.
This is a classic Scandinavian blade style, medium long for general use, traditional Scandi ground edge in 80CrV2 carbon steel with forge scale on the back of the blade.
Good, sharp blade for whittling, camp chores and general use that takes a sharp edge.
With the components of this kit, you get to spend some time crafting your version of a tool you can be happy to use for decades.
The kit consists of
- Polar Carbon Steel Blade, 95 mm blade length
- bolster in brass (goes between the blade and handle)
- End cap in brass (optional piece if not cutting the tang)
- Vulcanised piece of spacer material
- Solid Scandinavian Reindeer Antler handle roll
- Scout sheath in Spanish leather
This is a great all-around kit, and can be completed with simple hand tools.
The blade is made in Finland, made by Polar in 80CrV2 carbon steel.
The blade is 3 mm thick, about 20 mm high and has about 95 mm of blade.
Total length from tip to end of tang is 210 mm, the tang can be cut to fit the handle.
You will need to file the tang and shoulders of the blade a little before the bolster will fit.
As all carbon steel tools, the blade cannot be left wet to avoid rust
To complete this kit you will need to
- fit the bolster to the tang, with a file or dremel
- cut the tang to size, with a file, hacksaw or dremel leaving 2/3 of the handle length or more
- cut off a piece of the spacer material and drill a hole for the tang (knife and cordless drill)
- drill several small holes in the antler roll next to each other and enlarge the hole until the tang fits (cordless drill and possibly a file/rasp)
- glue blade, bolster, spacer and antler together with epoxy glue
- shape the handle with a rasp, belt sander, or file if wanting to customise it further
- Smooth the handle with sand paper to min 1200 grit (optional, or leave the antler as-is)
- Optional finish: seal the handle with oil, wax or varnish
For full instructions, check out this link: https://creativeman.com.au/how-to-completing-a-scandi-knife-kit/