Blacksmithing Workshop (Sydney)
- 1.00 (cm)
- 1.00 (cm)
- 1.00 (cm)
- Gift wrapping:
- Options available
- Calculated at Checkout
Bulk discount rates
Below are the available bulk discount rates for each individual item when you purchase a certain amount
|Buy 2 - 5||and pay only $275.00 each|
Blacksmithing Workshop, 1-day Hands-on experience
Location: Brookvale, NSW 2100 (Northern Beaches, Sydney)
Come spend a Saturday with us on this practical introduction to Blacksmithing, and go home with your very own hand forged knife!
You will experience shaping your own knife with hammer and fire, as well as learn a bit about the forge, anvil, tools and techniques used in blacksmithing.
1-day hands-on experience where you will make your own Viking Knife or Herb Chopper from a piece of carbon steel.
- Blacksmithing overview: Tools, processes, safety briefing
- All materials required (carbon steel, hammers, tongs, anvil, gas forge, PPE)
- Forging your own knife with hammer and anvil
- Help with grinding bevels on your herb chopper or viking knife (or you can have a go yourself, if you want)
- Hand sanding your blade
- Sharpening your blade
- All instructions and support required
Your day: 08.30 am to 3.30 pm with lunch break 12 - 1 pm
The day starts with a Safety Briefing and then we discuss what it takes to get into blacksmithing as a hobby. The tools required, where to source materials, safe working practises and an overview of the project of the day. You then select to make either a Herb Chopper or a Viking Knife, these are 2 different kinds of all-steel knives and we get to work!
We will together do
- hand forging to shape
- hammering in bevels
- drawing out the tang and turning this into the handle
- heat treatment of carbon steel including quenching the blade and tempering
- Completing the knife blade
- Note: to complete the knife in one day, it will be an all-steel construction. No wooden handle will be added.
- Anyone over 16 years old with an interest in blacksmithing
- Anyone able to lift a 1 kg hammer over the head and hammer "for a while" (we will help if you get tired)
- Anyone able to follow basic safety instructions as provided by your instructor who is with you every step of the way.
We recommend wearing full-length pants and closed-toe shoes on the day. We will provide leather blacksmith aprons and suitable eye and ear protection. Expect to get hit by some sparks, (long sleeves and pants is the way to go.)
The workshop will be held in the back yard of our location in Brookvale, Northern Beaches Sydney. This is an industrial setting outside, under roof with basic facilities. Lunch break will be from noon to 1 PM, there are several cafes in the area, as well as 2 craft breweries within 5 min walk (Nomad Brewery and 4 Pines Brewery) but there will no alcohol permitted until after any sharp tools are put away.
**The small text: We may need to assist on some of the steps to get it all done in one day. For instance grinding the bevels, tempering the blade and sharpening we might have to assist you with. But we will aim to let you do as much as possible of this yourself. If you get tired of the hammering and we have to assist, we may have to help you with some decisions on how to complete your project, in order to finish on time **
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
Have been wanting to forge our own knives for a while now and saw this course available in Brookvale. Spent a fantastic day with Bjorn hammering, tempering, grinding, sharpening our first ever knives which we could take home at the end of the day. It was a lot of fun, Bjorn is super knowledgeable and friendly and it was great to get busy in the workshop creating our own knives together. Bjorn gave direction and helped whenever needed. Really recommend.