Lauri Antler Kit wit Sheath
- 8.00 (cm)
- 5.00 (cm)
- 22.00 (cm)
- Gift wrapping:
- Options available
- Calculated at Checkout
Lauri Antler Kit
Large Scandi Kit, 145 mm blade, with sheath and handle materials included.
The Lauri Laplander 145 is a Carbon Steel blade made in Finland, by the Lauri family. The Lauris have been blade makers for generations, this is one of the bigger blades and is thicker, longer and wider than most standard Scandi blades, being 3 mm thick, about 27 mm wide and having 145 mm of blade. Including the tang, total length is 275 mm of 80 CrV2 carbon steel. This is a the bigger blade traditionally used in the North for heavier work, the "sami knife" or "leuku".
The kit consists of
- Lauri Laplander 145 blade, Carbon Steel
- Metal bolster V35 in brass
- Vulcanised spacer material, Red
- Solid reindeer antler handle roll, super grade
- Brass end cap for the handle
- Leather sheath in vegetable tanned leather
This is a kit that can be completed using simple hand tools, creating something you can be proud to use for years to come.
To complete this kit you will need to
- fit the bolster to the tang, with a file or dremel
- cut the tang to size, with a file, hacksaw or dremel
- cut off a piece of the spacer material and drill a hole for the tang (knife and cordless drill)
- drill a hole in the wooden block for the tang (cordless drill)
- Drill a hole in the moose antler for the tang
- glue blade, bolster, spacer, antler and wood together with epoxy glue
- shape the handle with a rasp, belt sander, or knife
- Shape the end of the handle to fit the copper end cap, glue this on
- Smooth the handle with sand paper
- Optional finish: seal the handle with oil, wax or varnish
Example of a completed Lauri Laplander blade from http://buzzardbushcraft.blogspot.com.au/ using the moose antler piece as end cap:(note the handle is not curly birch but something else)
A combination of great materials with everything needed to customise a functional and beautiful knife.
Really great quality carbon blade that is easily fitted to the quality antler that comes with the kit.