Spoon Carving Workshop (Sydney)
- 1.00 (cm)
- 1.00 (cm)
- 1.00 (cm)
- Gift wrapping:
- Options available
- Calculated at Checkout
Bulk discount rates
Below are the available bulk discount rates for each individual item when you purchase a certain amount
|Buy 2 - 5||and get 10% off|
Spoon Carving Workshop, Hands-on experience
Location: Brookvale, NSW 2100
Come spend a Saturday with us and walk away not only with the experience, but also a full set of spoon carving tools and a beautiful wooden spoon made with your own hands!
Creating something as fundamentally human as a wooden spoon using simple hand tools can be a satisfying experience.
This guided workshop will take you through the process of selecting materials and the relaxing process of making your own wooden spoon. After a safety briefing you will receive tools and materials. Then we will spend a few hours slowly carving a spoon, break for lunch before completing the spoon in the afternoon.
- Set of Spoon Carving Tools (to take home after the class is completed)
- All materials required (spoon blank in wood, sand paper, food safe organic wood finish)
- Use of other hand tools, based on your design (small axe, saw, chopping block, vice, clamps)
- Cut-resistant gloves for limited protection against the tools
- All instructions and support required on the day
The day starts with a Safety Briefing and then we discuss the process from sourcing sustainable materials to the steps involved in making spoons. From axe work to bowl carving and the whittling of the bowl outline before we finish with hand sanding your spoon and applying your choice of either Hemp Seed Oil or our own CoCoBee Mix to your spoon. Both finishes are organic and food safe. The workshop starts at 9 am and we aim to be ready by 3 pm. You will leave not only with your spoon, but with the tools and skills required to continue your journey as a spoonsmith!
- Anyone over 16 years old with an interest in making their own spoon, no prior experience is required.
- We will be doing some basic axe work, for those selecting to use green wood. Those selecting to not complete the axe steps or preferring softer material will carve pine which can be worked without the use of an axe.
- Anyone able to follow basic safety instructions required to work with sharp tools. Such as only carving while sitting down, carving away from your body and be mindful of the safety guidelines as provided by your instructor who is with you every step of the way.
We recommend wearing full-length pants and closed-toe shoes on the day. We will provide fabric "cut resistant" gloves on the day, these offer limited protection against slicing wounds but great care is always required when working with sharp tools.
The workshop will be held in the back yard of our location in Brookvale, Northern Beaches Sydney. This is an industrial setting outside, under roof with basic facilities. Lunch break will be from noon to 1 PM, there are several cafes in the area, as well as 2 craft breweries within 5 min walk (Nomad Brewery and 4 Pines Brewery) but there will no alcohol permitted until after any sharp tools are put away.
**Note: Please make sure to select correctly either Right Handed or Left Handed tools, to make sure we have enough of the correct hook blades for your workshop **